Our Resource Finance team offers innovative and optimised solutions to our clients in the mining, oil and gas industries in sub-Saharan Africa. The Resource Finance team collaborates with a number of other business units within RMB in order to provide holistic solutions to clients.
Our extensive offering includes:
- Project finance and limited recourse offerings – RMB offers limited recourse finance for mining projects in South Africa and the rest of Africa (greenfield or brownfield) including project finance, export credit agency funding and asset-backed financing. Pan African Resources and New Liberty Gold Mine.
- Acquisition finance – RMB provides underwriting of financing packages for mergers and acquisitions. This could be done via a range of products including normal loans and preference shares. We are able to offer bridging loans so that clients can demonstrate funds certainty and we then structure sustainable longer term solutions with clients at a later stage. A good example of this is the Sibanye-Stillwater deal.
- Indigenisation structuring and financing – RMB is top rated in structuring and arranging financing compliant with relevant mining legislation for BEE transactions in the mining sector. We also participate in and underwrite financing required for BEE transactions. We have concluded such deals for Exxaro Replacement BEE and Petra Diamonds.
- Corporate debt solutions and balance sheet optimisation – RMB provides flexible debt solutions to optimize the capital structures and tax position of companies. Examples of this in the Resources sector include Richards Bay Minerals and First Quantum Minerals.
- Oil and gas finance – RMB works across the oil and gas industries with a specific focus on the upstream (development finance, receivables finance and reserve based lending), midstream (oil and gas pipelines and storage facilities) and oil services industries. We have appetite to underwrite large numbers in order to deliver a transaction quickly and then syndicate to the rest of the lending market. See our Kosmos Energy deal as an example.
- Commodity linked financing – RMB has the ability to structure non-traditional commodity loans, for example gold loans and copper loans, which provide various benefits for clients, such as Pan African Resources.
- Junior debt financing – RMB offers financing products across the capital structure from senior debt to junior debt in order to assist clients to fill funding shortfalls. We financed New Liberty Gold Mine in this way.