Our multidisciplinary Debt Capital Markets (DCM) team gives clients in sub-Saharan Africa access to capital markets, in our presence countries in Africa and internationally in the Eurobond markets, to meet their debt capital raising requirements.
We focus on debt issuance in markets where we have full banking presence. We are the leading player in the advisory, arranging and facilitation of bond issuances in sub-Saharan debt capital markets.
Our forward-thinking process is why we’ve accomplished so many firsts in the industry:
- First Green Bonds listed on the JSE Green Segment
- First Exchangeable Bond in South Africa
- First Krugerrand Bond in South Africa
- First Sukuk bond for an African Multilateral Development Bank
- First Convertible Bond in South Africa
We have a proud track record of delivering innovative and optimised solutions to clients across a broad spectrum of industries in sub-Saharan Africa through the following:
- Convertible and Hybrid Bonds: These instruments provide significant flexibility to clients and can be structured to have varied amounts of debt or equity characteristics. Examples include Shoprite, Impala Platinum and JD Group.
- Corporate Bonds and Commercial Paper: This offering includes advisory, structuring and distribution. Some deals we have assisted with include Real People, Barloworld and over ZAR15-bn of corporate bonds in 2017 alone.
- Securitisation: We offer a full range of securitisation structures including future flow receivables, asset-backed flows, residential and commercial mortgages.
- Sukuk Bonds: Having led the first Murabaha Sukuk Bond for an African supranational, we offer structuring capabilities and arrange Sukuk Bonds.
- Eurobonds: We are a sub-Saharan bank that arranges and leads Eurobond transactions for sub-Saharan corporates, financial institutions, state owned companies and sovereigns. See the MTN Eurobond as an example.
- Green Bonds: Having led the first Green Bond in South Africa we are experts in structuring and placing these bonds.
- Ratings Advisory: We offer leading advice and assist new issuers in the ratings process for local and Eurobond issuances.
- Inward Listing: We have arranged landmark transactions for international issuers not domiciled in our local debt capital markets and provide market leading advisory on exchange control where applicable, for example, IFC, a member of the World Bank Group.
- Liability Management and Advisory: Our team specializes in seamless buyback and switch auction processes to enable our clients to manage their upcoming maturities.